Sunday, September 16, 2007

Love Me If You Dare? : Or Maybe Not ...

Love Me If You Dare is a witty French love story of two young Parisians, Julien and Sophie, who first meet in grade school when they are eight years old and continue to have an everlasting friendship, and eventually love affair. They go through many obstacles together as they grow up and experience new things, and are lead in very different directions. However, no matter how far apart they are in life they are bonded forever because of a childhood pact and game they play with each other which is a series of dares they make, and must accomplish. The first time I saw this movie I fell in love with it because of its strong similarities to the French film Amelie, but unfortunately Roger Ebert did not share those feelings with me. He quotes the movie as "Strangely frustrating." The part I found interesting is how the lovers still end up together despite the fact that they have many things going on, and they break the norm for how they really should not be together, but of course they eventually do. Ebert however feels that the characters are unrealistic, he says, "But at the end, I didn't like them. In fact, reader, I loathed them... What I do know is that the movie is strangely frustrating, because Julien and Sophie
choose misery and obsession as a lifestyle, and push far beyond reason
." Do you dare to love this film? Ebert only gave this film two stars, but it definitely is a five star movie in my book.

No comments: